Sunday, June 14, 2009

Aiden Vs. Jacob

So we have this dilemma........I like the funky names, and Nick likes more traditional names-for boys. He says that boys need to have strong names for when they go to job interviews etc. I agree with him, but I think that the trend of "strong" names has changed- that what he considers "trendy" is actually becoming "tradition". Names like Michael and Robert used to be the trendy names, now they are considered traditional. Now names like Caden, Aiden and Ethan are considered somewhat trendy but are becoming more the normal and in like 5 years I think they will be considered the traditional names- Aiden has been the top name for like 5 or 6 years I think. So, I would like to know everyone's opinion- do you think boys need a stronger, more "traditional" type name, or is a trendier name ok? (And any suggestions would be GREAT!).
Wish me luck!!!!!
p.s. it's not any easier with the middle name either, but I think we are sticking with a family name for that. :)

9 comments:

Heidi said...

That is a hard one because it seems there are a TON of Aiden's out there that it will be the norm in a few more years. If it's not Adian, its Caden or Braden. I was anti formal Robert because of the over abundance of it on both sides of our family. Just something masculine and not Todd or Steve I say.

teviawall said...

Here is my tiny two cents. I have three boys, all have non-traditional names. I think traditional names are overrated. As far as jobs go, as long as you give the kid a boy name, instead of a girly/boy name like Stacey or Ashley, then he will be fine. DON'T name your kid Aiden. Everyone and their dog has a kid named Aiden. And don't use Jacob. There are a billion gazillion Jacob's out there. So, that is more than two cents.

TrevnMe said...

I absolutely hands down think boys need more traditional names. Boys need to have masculine, dignified, strong names. Plus right now trendy names are very popular so everyone has the same name, but if you name your baby a more traditional name then he'll be the one with a different name. It's ok to mess around with girl names but boys are a little different. You don't want your boy growing up feeling like a little sissy with a pretty boy name, do ya?!

Michelle said...

I think there is a broad range of names that are totally fine. You'll know. The only thing that might be hard is if it is a name that could be a girl name too. That might get annoying. It's a fun dilemma to have! We always picked 2 or 3 names that we liked and then waited to meet them to decide. Caleb was supposed to be "Nathan", but he just looked like a Caleb to us!

Click Clan said...

congrats on the boy! That is so exciting. boys are GREAt though, they have a way or wrapping their mommies around their little fingers!!! CONGRATS

LaDawn Click

Anonymous said...

I think boys should have stong traditional names too.

Jena said...

Well, Jake is one of my favorite names. My nephew is a Jacob and I love it. Aiden does sound a bit sissy, but we didn't grow up with boys who had names like that. I do have to agree that a strong name is a positive, but who can define "strong name"? I always thought Jena was original. Especially my spelling. Now everyone is Jena! That's MY name. LOL. Pick the one that sounds best with the family middle name!

Heidi said...

Wow!! You asked for it. LOL.. I think you guys should pick what you like, and not worry about what others think. I let James pick the boy name cause I pretty much picked the girls. We also made a compromise on the middle names.. Just remember you both have to like the name. It will be great whatever you choose. He will be strong as long as you teach him that, and not by his name.. Good Luck!! I can't wait to see him or his picture I should say.. I hope it is a great delivery for you.

Heidi said...

Hey it's me again...
are you guys going to Heber this year? We'll be there...just wondering if we'll see ya...
write me...heidipwalsh@hotmail.com