Thursday, January 14, 2010

I am...... Texan??

Have you ever wanted to have an accent? I always find people with accents fascinating, and find myself listening to their voice rather than to their actual words- so I never know what they are saying.....hehe!
Anyway, I have always thought it would be fun to have an accent. I so totally want to use a "fake" accent in a store or something just for kicks but of course I have a great fear of being embarrassed!!!
I imagine checking out with my "Texas" accent and the conversation going something like this..

Checker Outter: "Wow, I LOVE your accent- where are you from?"
Me: "Texas" (duh, can't you tell, I mean my accent is so authentic)
Checker Outter: "Oh, me too, what part?"
Me: (CRAP!!!) "Um, San Antonio....."
CO: "ME too....wow, that is so cool! Where in San Antonio?"
Me: (CRAP again!!) "The outskirts????" (I seriously need to end this conversation!!!)
CO: "So you have been to the Alamo, right?"
Me: "Yep....you bet.... who hasn't" (is the Alamo in San Antonio?)
CO: "Don't you just love that little shop right by the Alamo?"
Me: "Yep, it's awesome....gotta go .... bye-bye!" (Crap, I forgot to use my accent on that last sentence, she is totally gonna know I was faking)

So now that I have totally made a fool of myself by admitting something silly I want to do......maybe you can share something you would like to do but would never have the guts to try!! Can't wait to hear your inner embarassing inner thoughts!!!!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I've been to the Alamo - and there are tons of shops - the Riverwalk is right there. I wouldn't specify if you had to - you could elaborate by saying that you were a military brat and moved around alot... hmm. Improvisation at its finest.

Michelle said...

This post brought a much needed smile to my face. I love that you admit that you only listen to how people's words sound sometimes. I do that a lot. Then I try to fake getting back into the conversation. Awkward. When I think of something wild and crazy I want to try, I will let you know!

brownymama said...

I can help you with this whole Texas thing. We lived in San Antone for a few years. Must have phrases are "ya'll, fixin to and a little football talk. Throw in something about Dairy Queen and the peach festival, they'll believe every word! Only catch is that I get to be behind you at Fry's! Speaking of Fry's.... I haven't seen you there in a while. We never had that grocery store lunch date! (:

TrevnMe said...

1. No matter how intelligent you are a southern accent will make you sound dumb.
I have an aunt who has lived in the south all her life and she twangs more than anyone I know. She may be smart but I don't know cuz when she speaks all I hear is one big DUH come out of her mouth.
2. My sister and I speak "black" everywhere we go. We get the stink eye from everyone and that makes it so much funnier.
3. I say you play the spanish card and pretend you don't speak english. The look on the cashiers face would be priceless!

Stefany said...

that is funny. i usually like to use an odd name when they write your name down for food orders (like McDonalds)- Like Lola, Ruby Lou or one that is really long and try to see how they spell. Not for fun when they ask me how to spell it.. improvise! we all still kids at heart!

Stefany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

LOL..you are hilarious!

Craig and Aly said...

Ok that is the funniest story ever!