A funny thing happened the other day.....when Michael Jackson died......it made my husband reflect on his youth a little bit.....and he involved our girlies in his reflections.
On a quick side note I should mention that I personally was not a huge Michael Jackson fan- partly because I grew up in a small town without MTV and with only one radio station sort of worth listening to and I don't ever remember hearing MJ on their FM waves (maybe my high school friends can back me on this?) and partly because hard as I try, I am just not a huge music buff in general. Anyway, I can certainly appreciate his influence on music from both my generation and those that came after, and I do appreciate his music and enjoy several of his songs, but my point is that Nick was waaaaay more of a fan than I.
So, the cute thing was that while watching the never ending rewind of MJ's life on TV, my husband tried to find his old Thriller album- and I do mean album- not a tape or CD, but the real thing on black vinyl....he could even describe the cover to me perfectly. He pulled out the tub of stuff from his younger years- and you would have thought he had opened the world's greatest treasure box. The girls sat on the floor with him for over an hour and went through his memories from clothes to toys to old posters and Suns' cups.....things that he treasured. It was so dang cute to see them sitting there enjoying his stories and seeing him "remembering the times". They were memories from before we knew each other, but they were memories that make him....HIM, and I loved every moment of sitting on the side lines and letting him revel in the time with his girls. He shared his stories and let them have a few of his memories for their own- Ainslie a squeeky "Dumbo" figurine from a trip to Disneyland as a kid and a basket from who knows where, McKyrie a cute little stuffed dog (that she names peaches and vanilla) and an old mini "Cardinals" helmet from a game he attended. And although he never found the album- maybe he gave it away or it's in another tub somewhere- the fun he had with his girls was priceless. They watched to video "Thriller" together- not my first choice for unscarey video, but they loved every minute of it- I think just simply because he showed them all the stuff he thought was cool in it. And they learned to love the way he danced- something their dad finds absolutely amazing- and he's right. I was glad I got to witness this between the man I love and his beautiful girls....he is a great man and husband and father.
Reminiscing is always going to be high on my list after this great day!
3 years ago

1 comment:
I do have to say. I love to reminisce. I did that a lot for the next few days after the news of MJ. I was a huge fan, and he did so much for the world truly. I can remember remaking the thriller video with all the kids on our block the "Montecito Gang" we called ourselves.. LOL Then dances I went to always had MJ songs. So many memories. If you do not think about his court appearances he was really something. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment