On Thursday, Ainslie's Oncologist called and had some news from the Children's Cancer Group results. It wasn't super good news as far as I am concerned, but there was a slight up-side. First, she said, the group came back saying that Ainslie was only a stage 1. However, she wasn't sure that she agreed with them, but she said that was neither here nor there.....for those who don't know, cancer is stage in 5 levels, 1 being lowest and 5 the highest. So, a stage 1 was excellent news to me!!!
Then, she hit with the bad news..Ainslie's tumor has what is called anaplasia in it, which is not good. The way I understand it is that means it has a greater risk of returning or spreading....thud, that was my heart just totally dropping! Was she sure? Yes, she trusted this group over the hospital's pathologist because they see thousands of cancer cases every year, and they are considered the experts in the field. Basically what this means for Ainslie is a more extensive and more hard core treatment plan. So, now instead of the 18 weeks of chemo we were hoping for, she is now looking at 30 weeks of a more intense dose of chemo, AND 30 weeks of radiation.
I really can't explain how much Nick and I are worried. We pray that her sweet little body can endure all of that poison that they put in to her body, and that the crappy cancer will go away! I am scared, and I often find myself holding my breath and not knowing why. I find that I cannot focus on anything that anyone says, and when I have to talk I go on babbling, probably not making any sense. To be honest, it is much easier to talk in analytical or medical terms, than it is to talk about outcomes and how I feel. I am sad for her hair- it is sooo beautiful and long. She has agreed to a haircut, but isnt' too sure about eventually shaving her head, but I am sure she will come around. I told her I would shave my head too and so would daddy, so that made her happy. Now, I hope I have the guts to go through with it :) I might need to seriously psyche myself out when that day comes- I don't want her to be afraid to do it! It's just hair right??? Why am I so vain???
So, we meet with the radiologist on Monday to find out all about the radiation- how often, how much, how long? I am freaked that I won't understand everything he says and that I might screw something up along the way. Then, she starts chemo on Wednesday. Poor baby, I really hope she doesn't get too sick or too tired, but everything we read says she will and I hurt for her! I am angry for her!
I am also trying to figure out how to balance my "normal" life with my "child with cancer" life. Already I have an emmence amount of guilt. Will I spend too much time with Ainslie and leave McKyrie out? Will McKyrie miss out on part of her childhood with me in it because I feel the need to be with Ainslie more? Will Brecken miss out on having his mommy as much as the girls did when they were his age? Will he get sick of going from house to house every week? I can see McKyrie trying to be good about all of the attention Ainslie is getting, and I can tell it hurts her feelings. She knows that Ainslie deserves it, but she wants the attention too- I don't blame her. I was glad that she had a birthday this week because it balanced out the amount of gifts that Ainslie has gotten, but I can see it is still hard for her.
For now, we are surviving and managing. I'm sure next week will be a different story. Next week we start the treatment and Ainslie will no longer be a "normal" little 5 year old. Next week my Dad goes home and I have to cope with life with Brecken again :)
3 years ago

10 comments:
Oh man - my heart aches for you. No mother wants their child to endure so much pain in this earthly life. Just remember that our Heavenly Father is here for both you and her and that you, your family, and sweet Ainslie are in our prayers.
Hadley wants you to give McKyrie a HUGE hug for her. Hang in there best you can and call if you ever need a friend to talk to.
Elizabeth...you all have been in my thoughts continuously. My heart is so sad for you. I have witnessed the AMAZING strength of kids that are going through treatment. I was honored to take care of them. They are the most amazing, special children and they taught me alot about what a sweet spirit kids possess. They are unselfish, kind, strong, and no matter how sick they are they smile and they FIGHT!!! Please know that I am here for you if you need anything.....Make sure you take care of yourself and as hard as it will be, do not let yourself feel guilty.....kids are resilient and your kids know how much you love them!!! Let me know if you have to stay overnight when she gets her chemo....I want to come bring you food to the hospital and give you the biggest hug EVER!
It was so good to visit with you and your girls tonight. They are so sweet and you are too. We love you so much and you will constantly be in our prayers.
Krista and Ryan
You guys are so amazing. Your kids will be fine! You are a strong family.
PLZ let me help as much as you need me. It might be better for Brecken to go to similar houses, that way he's not totally freaked out! Stetson will have TONS of fun playing.
We are praying for you!
CLICKS
Beautifully expressed. Although completely different (and not at all comparable) I have been struggling with similar thoughts lately about my "other" children while I have been struggling with a huge regression in Caleb's autism.
But this is part of their story too. I don't know why or what the purpose is, but I have complete faith that Heavenly Father will be close with us as we figure out how to continue our journey.
You know I love ya. You know I am always going to give you the truth. You will feel guilt and no one but your Heavenly Father can help take that away. I am not going to tell you Kyrie won't feel left out becuase we know she will. She will be just fine. Kids feel like that even when something like this is not going on. You know I know how great you are, and what a great mom you are. You and Nick have created a wonderful family. Your family will grow together not grow apart. :)
We are thinking of you often and praying for all of you.
What the heck? Not what I wanted to see when I went to catch up on the blogging world. SO SORRY! We will keep you all in our prayers and put your names on the temple prayer roll:)
I m am so sorry Liz, Our thoughts and prayers are to you from over here. It is amazing how strong our little ones are, know that we are thinking of you guys and that we love you...
Wish I was there to help more! I put your family's name on the temple prayer role tonight, and I will keep praying for you. I wish I could give you the biggest hug.
Post a Comment