Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Yep, Makes TOTAL sense...

Today was my first OB visit. Yeah!! Of course, we waited in the little room for about 45 minutes before the Dr. came in- even though I was the first appt. of the afternoon- you know after they take their 1 1/2 hour lunch break.....No big deal, I don't mind waiting- Nick doesn't have to work or anything-yeah right. Anyway, since I don't have maternity coverage, we get to pay cash for this baby-- we knew that going in, and we are prepared-mentally- for the cost of having this baby. Anyway, today was quite the awakening for us. When I called to make the appointment I explained to the that we just have an HSA and that we have to pay out of pocket for everything, we were told that the Dr.'s portion would be about $2300.00. Of course that doesn't include the anastesiologist or the hospital.
So, today while we were there, we asked if there would be a discount if we paid for the whole Dr.'s portion today. They came back and, hallejulah, they said the Dr. would give us a 20 percent discount if we paid in full today- taking us down to about $1900.00----Yeah!!!! Then, they looked at our insurance plan and realized they had given us a quote for the "contracted" insurance rates if I had maternity coverage on it- which I don't. So, they had to redo the quote - which came to about $2900.00 and with our 20 percent discount, guess how much it was......Yep....right back to the original $2300.00 we started at! UGH!!! Then they asked me if I was going to apply for AHCCCS - Nope, I get to pay my taxes and pay for everyone else to have a baby on AHCCCS and pay for my own kid- what a lucky break, don't you think???? Can you believe that- they get to charge me MORE just because I am not contracted with the insurance company- why isn't it the same amount for everyone??...this totally frustrates me to no end. I know that insurance companies allow Dr's to charge only certain amounts and that is about the only benefit to having insurance, but SERIOUSLY people....if you could do it for 1900.00 the first time, why can't you do it for 1900.00 again...especially since my insurance company wasn't going to pay them anything in the first place and they knew that.

Obviously I am little angry about this and could go on and on and on....time for me to get over it I guess....eventually. I have 7 more months to stew about it though!!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG find a new doctor!!
Once they said it would only be $1900 they should have stuck with that. It was THEIR mistake that they misquoted you.
Can you find an in network doctor? Or a doctor that will just charge you a standard private pay amount?
Now you can relate with the frustration I deal with on a daily basis dealing with stupid insurance companies!

Sarah said...

I'm with her. Shop for docs. Tell them that you are willing to pay cash up front, and call around. I'm sure there aren't an excess of doctors in PV, but they still want business, right? And cash is better than waiting for insurance to cough it up. Totally sucks though. Good luck. :/

The Ridings said...

Yikes! We have had to pay cash before you think it would be easy but it is such a headache!

trublubyu said...

that is so frustrating. good luck with whatever you decide to do- new doc or not. i hope it all works out well for you.

another thought- your girls are so cute, i bet you could get at least $3,000 for one of them, right? TOTALLY kidding!

That Dorn Family! said...

Sad to say this, but we were actually told this during an insurance meeting last year. For some strange, stupid reason they charge those without insurance more than those with insurance.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that they should have a differnt amount due insurance or not. We got our insurance bill from Ellie last night and I can't believe how much every thing was.

Jill * Zane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill * Zane said...

Beth, I feel for ya totally!! That is the same situation we are in and it is such a crock! I don't want to say that is the only reason we're not trying for another one yet, but it is a major factor. I called a hospital to ask about pre-payment plans and they quoted me just under $7k for a 3 night stay and the c-section. I asked them how much it would be for only 2 nights since that's all I need and they said I'm required to pay for 3 nights minimum, PLUS the anesthesiologists, the pre-natal vists and the dr's time for the surgery. If I didn't have to have a c-section, I would seriously consider having a mid-wife do it. If you've already had 2 other complication-free deliveries and 2 healthy babies, you might want to think about it. WAY cheaper! Also, even if you wouldn't normally qualify for AHCCCS, I think they cover pregnancies if you don't have maternity coverage. I'm with you - I don't want to take advantage of the system like so many others do, but when the system seems intent on screwing you over, well then...

Jena said...

I'm trying to figure out how your insurance doesn't cover maternity???

Dotted Owl Crafts said...

I am pissed for you. Anytime you want to vent about medical, I'm your girl! G