Secret Spy Girl!!
This last Wednesday was Ainslie's 8th chemo treatment. If I am being honest, I will tell you that it kills me each week that we have to drive to Phoenix and check in to the clinic. I dread Tuesday nights because they remind me that my daughter has cancer and that I have to take her to her appointment. I would rather forget that she has cancer, thank you very much! She is doing so well though, and I know that all the driving and pain and yuckiness that she has to go through will all be worth it! I just know in my heart that she is being healed...for me there is no other option and I refuse to think otherwise.
It's funny, I am starting to forget what she looked like with hair. Several friends went in on a wig for her and it looks super cute on her....but it looks different. It's strange to picture her with hair, just like it was strange to look at her without hair 6 weeks ago, but now I am so used to her sweet bald head. Her own hair is actually starting to grow back a little bit, the doctors said that will happen, that it will grow and then fall out again and do that several times. Kind of a funny thing, hair- and it's really weird how only her hair falls out, not her eyelashes or eyebrows :) We haven't figured that one out yet.
So, she is down 8 treatments, only 22 more to go!!!! Week 8 came with a blood transfusion and a 6 and 1/2 hour clinic visit :) I didn't know she was going to need a transfusion, so I was totally wishing for my book, but I had fun hanging out with her watching DVD's and eating lunch. She really is a goofy kid, who notices things that I sometimes think are above her age, she is more aware of things than I realize. The hope is that the transfusion will give her more energy and will help her be less anemic. She has been so worn out this last week and has taken a nap almost everyday, so I am hopeful that the extra blood will give her a boost!
After her 10th treatment she will get a two week break from the chemo, so they can do testing. She has to redo her CT scan to make sure the cancer has not spread...they mostly focus on her other kidney and her lungs, as Wilms' Tumor tends to spread to those areas. I am looking forward to the break and am hoping that she will be able to gain some more of her lost weight and have a chance to get some energy and be a normal kid. They have her on medicine that is an appetite stimulant and it really seems to be helping.....she finally gained some much need weight 2weeks ago and she looks much healthier already, but she still looks too skinny to me!
I know she is strong, I know she can endure, I know she can beat the cancer! I know that all of this treatment will pay off and will not be in vain. Go Ainslie!!!!!!!!!
Ainslie, The Dude and The Mutt
All snuggled into my bed...I hope they were clean!

3 comments:
You are all so strong and I'm glad she has such a great support system. The dog's face in that pic is classic! I hope to see you soon. xoxoxo
I love the picture of them all in your bed. And I love that she (and the rest of you) are so positive throughout this. You are all strong. Love you!
Krista
If you ever need someone to come and visit you while you are in Phoenix give me a call. I would LOVE to come to wherever she gets her treatments and visit with you.
Post a Comment