Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Surprise

We have a Christmas Tradition. I think it is a really great one, and we plan to do it all our lives. Our tradition is that we go and cut our Christmas Tree out in the quite of the forrest with some of Nick's cousins. We always go the weekend after Thanksgiving-it is usually VERY cold, and sometimes it even snows! Our kids will learn to love this tradition we hope- they tend to not really like the cold too much.
The day after Thanksgiving, we leave the kids with Grandma and drive to Springerville with Nick's cousins, Ken and Heather-love those guys- and we go to the Ranger Station and we buy our permit for $10 whole dollars (you don't want to be caught cutting a tree without that permit :)- then we make the customary stop at Sonic for a Rt. 44 Dr. Pepper- this is my favorite part about the tradition.
On Saturday, we all bundle up our children and head for Green's Peak or there abouts.......we search and search and search, and then we find "The Tree" and we let the kids find a little tree too (it's illegal to cut the little ones, so don't turn me in). Then we go and have Mexican Food- this is my other favorite part about the tradition- except I don't like the restaurant we always go to-oh well, it's still fun!
This year, we missed the tradition. Bummer. I know, it really stinks. We were somewhere in podunk Texas driving between Tyler and San Antonio.......it was a long drive....Ainslie wanted juice and I didn't have any and she kicked my seat for 3 hours...I'm not lying.
Anyway, since we missed out on our tradition, we made the wonderful trek to the Christmas Tree lot when we got home- I have to have that tree up early so I can enjoy it's beauty all month long.
I wasn't super excited about having to go to the tree lot, but I pleasantly surprised by their selection. We found a beautiful tree and paid the nice man $50 dang bucks- that's a killer by the way- then we headed home to decorate.
The girls did a great job on ornament placement and voila (how do you make an accent mark on the a?) we had a beautiful tree- without freezing our buns off!
We were proud.
We thought it was beautiful.
Ainslie moved all of the ornaments around.
25 times.
Then she ran into the tree one day.
And..........
A FREAKIN DEAD MOUSE FELL OUT OF THE TREE!!!!!
I really don't know where it came from, but it was in that tree when we bought it, and I sure as heck hope it was already dead, and that it didn't run around in my house and have millions of babies all over the place. I live on the prairie, but I sure don't want any stinking mice in my house!
I am all for Tradition next year- no matter where we are!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

SICK!!!!!
I would flip out if a mouse was in my house. Dead or alive.
But I'm sure glad you found yourself a beautiful tree! We'll see it in a few days!!

That Dorn Family! said...

What a nice tradition. Try to keep that one instead of the long drive across Texas -k? I love San Antonio, but getting there isn't as much fun as it used to be.

Sarah said...

AAAACCCCKKKKK! I would FREAK OUT!!! AT least the tree was pretty. :)

Stefany said...

that is not how the song goes.. the mouse went up the CLOCK, not the tree! then it dies! the mice are messed up in Prescott! move back to Phoenix where the smart mice that know their places live! :)

sorry about your little fuzzy surprise! not fun, but you will always remember this non traditional year for the tree!

Bedie said...

GROSS!! I would have freaked out. So sorry about the mouse. Hey is Nicks family from Springerville? That is where I grew up!!! I love the Sonic there and was sad it was not there when I was in Good ole High School. My family still lives there and we go there about twice a year. Small world.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there was a dead mouse in your tree. I would stick to your tradition of cutting your own tree. Or you could be like me and have a fake each year and not have to deal with the cold or mice.

The Ridings said...

Yes I would scream! Then I would call Adam where ever he was to take care of the "problem"! (Yes I am that big of a wimp) I am all about fake!

Heidi said...

Oh I probably would have screamed while running around the house trying to figure out what I would need to get it out of the house... LOL Then have doubts about the wonderful time of year where you sit taking in the tree and the fireplace while sipping Hot Cocoa... Hmmmm that would be so hard for me to enjoy after that.... You will remember this year for a long time, and laugh at the thought of the dead rodent.. Merry Christmas.. LOL sorry you had to go through that.

Jill * Zane said...

So, I'm FINALLY getting around to checking blogs (it's been awhile - I'll get to actually blogging on mine at some point in the future) and I get to laugh at some adventure of yours. I hate to laugh at your creepy-dead-mouse expense, but that was funny!! I miss ya, Beth. We should get together soon.