Sunday, December 14, 2008

We came, we saw, we FROZE!




There is a problem with telling your children you will take them to the winter festival down town and then waking up to a horrendous wind and not wanting to go. You see, you can't just break their little hearts and tell them that it's too cold and mommy is a wimp and doesn't want to brave the 40 degree weather with 15 miles and hour winds, they just look at you with sad little eyes and say " I'm not cold- you promised we would go" So, you grab their heaviest coats, find the long lost scarves, hats and gloves, put some warm cozy socks on their feet and head off to the celebration.

Of course, there is no close parking to the event, because every other parent has been guilted into going to this festival as well, so you have to walk 3 blocks, which isn't too bad, except that the wind is blowing so hard that your hat keeps blowing off, and your cheeks are already wind chapped by the time you get there.

You gladly pay the $5 per kids, with a smile on your face hoping that the rides and prizes are dang good since you are freezing and the kids are too (even though they said they wouldn't be). All in all, you have a great 2 1/2 hours of freezing cold fun - riding horses, going on the train ride and playing lots of goofy carnival games.

You also make the customary visit to Santa, which on a side note was a GREAT experience. Littlest daughter was soooo excited, and I thought for sure she would chicken out at the last moment, but instead, she literally ran into Santa's arm and gave him the biggest hug for about 2 minutes- it was the sweetest thing and Santa was great- he just sat there and hugged her right back- brought a little tear to my eye! I have the cutest dang kids!!! Oldest daughter made sure that Santa knew what both her and her sissy wanted for Christmas and they sat for their cute little picture

4 comments:

The Ridings said...

I never thought of this until Livvie, isn't the whole Santa thing a little creepy encouraging your child to hug and sit on a strangers lap. LOL! We have stranger issues with her so I have to laugh when I tell her it is okay to sit on someone's lap just because he is wearing a red suit!

Michelle said...

Hey Elizabeth,
I have fond memories of that square that your festival was held. I am very proud of you for going out in the cold. I was feeling proud because we still walked to school this morning even though for us it was chilly. Our update on the family is this: about a year and a half ago we decided to adopt and became certified through LDS Family Services. About a year after we were certified we got connected up with a birth mom who chose us to adopt her baby (crazy - right?) At any rate, Rebekah Marie was born on September 8th weighing 6lbs 3oz. I was able to be there for her birth and she has been with us ever since!

Anonymous said...

I love the new family picture! I hope we will be getting one soon. JR took the girls to see Santa and neither one of them wanted to sit on his lap or be near him. So no pictures of the girls with Santa yet this year.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time even if you froze your butt off in the process! I love your new family picture, it's so cute! :)
See you in a few days!