Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Soapbox!

I am baffled and at a loss for words (I know, this is really strange huh?) Last night while attending the Youth group for our ward, several of the girls went on about how now the world was going to end because Obama was the new President. Then, I was told by a friend how some adult friends of ours were saying the same type of things. Is this what we are teaching our youth? That because the person we feel should have won, didn't? Am I the only one who thinks this is wrong????? Of course our children overhear us saying things and they repeat them in the wrong context, but these girls were saying things like "he isn't even a legal citizen- he faked his birth certificate" and so on.

Is this what we, as adults, are saying outloud, expecting to be taken seriously?
Are there really people out there who think the world will come to an end because we have a DEMOCRATIC President, or is it because he is BLACK, or is it because his ideas are DIFFERENT than theirs? My vote went to the winner, and of course, I am happy about this, but I will teach my children to support their president no matter who HE or SHE may be, even if it isn't the one I wanted. I don't think that you have to agree with everything a President does or says- and most people have disagreed with our Presidents at one time or another- but you do need to be supportive. Saying you are afraid for our country and that the end is coming only sounds IGNORANT and WHINEY to me!

Of course, some of the negative things said about either side are true- and that sucks because we would like for all our leaders to be the best they can be, and to have strived to always make the right choices. But, they are not perfect, and they probably never will be. There are some things that have to addressed and then we need to move on. And yet, there are other issues that cannot be forgotten or dropped. These are the issues we should be discussing with our youth and educating them about. Teaching them to do the research and find the truth for themselves, not to take another person's word for it. As adults, we also need to be aware of our words and realize that people overhear us and listen to what we are saying- I would have been embarassed if my friend had been talking to me about her fear of the world ending, and someone else had overheard us!

Many of you will have voted differently than I did and I think that is great. McCain is an awesome person and would have been a fine leader. However,I truly hope that the person who has taken on this overwhelming position of running our Country will have ALL of our prayers- Obama is certainly going to need them! I also hope that I can teach my children to have respect for that great position, no matter which political party is holding it at the time. I hope that when my children are youth's that they will not sound as uninformed as the girls I was surrounded by last night -who are by the way very sweet and beautiful girls, I just think that they overhear things and then run with it without doing any type of research.

Again, I know that politics are a very personal matter and I do not write this article wishing anyone any ill or negative vibes. This is just my opinion and thoughts on the situation I have been faced with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sista! I'm politically stupid but I definately agree when you say we need to support our President no matter who he/she is, what color they are, or what party they belong to.
I think both McCain and Obama have good ideas and bad ideas. We will take what Obama gives us and make the best of it.
Tell your sweet YW that the world is not ending, their clothes are not going out of style, and the boys will still think their cute even though we have a Democratic President! ;)

That Dorn Family! said...

See, you said everything I was thinking when I wrote my blog. You are just braver than I. The kids at our school have been saying the same type of things. Although here, where we get a holiday for the first day of hunting, the big deal is the guns. I saw kids yelling about the guns the day after. Rick tried to set all the 6th graders straight, but when their parents are who they are getting the information from, Rick doesn't make that big of a difference. That's why I wrote what I wrote. Oh and by the way, I don't care that you and I voted differently. I KNOW God is in control and no matter who the president is HE know what HE is doing.

Heidi said...

O.k so I have to agree with you. I did not get a chance to vote this year only because I procrastinated(is that spelled right?) any-hoo.. I went to mail my registration transfer a day too late. Ha isn't that great, but as Katelynn asked me why I would have voted the way I did. I simply told her my views, and then proceeded to tell her that what you vote for has to be your decision, and a well thought out one. Not because it is what your mom or your Dad would have voted. I have heard the things ppl are saying, and I for one think they are silly. I do believe that either one would make a fine President and will support the one we have. Great post Love it.