We have lots of those, but this one was especially important to me. Should I quit my job and stay home with our soon to be born child, or should we look for a day care?
Many people know our background and the strength and courage it took on my husbands part to take this leap of faith and cut our income almost in 1/2 (okay well, maybe by a 1/3). We did it though, and the decision was made. He would be the bread winner and I would be the STAY AT HOME MOM! I was excited- If I was going to have children, I wanted to be able to be at home with them and to be a part of their daily lives. I vowed that I would be really good at this and that I would play an active part in making our home a place where our children could safely grow and learn and where they could simply BE children. I promised to be aware of our financial situation whatever it may be, and to always have my families best interest at heart.
Fast forward 7 years........
You're always too busy.
Can we stay home today?
Do we have to go to the store again?
Watch me do this, Watch me do that...
Mom- Come here, I have to show you something!
These are all things that I hear from my children on a regular basis. I usually reply to them that "YES, we have to go to the store again, or NO I don't want to watch you do anymore things." etc.
And then there's this-
Get the car washed.
Go get groceries.
Post Office, Bank
Dr. Office
More groceries
Mall, Sonic
Clean rooms
Laundry
Go by the office
Take kids to school
Costco, Costco, Costco!ETC.........
And so, with all of these things going through my brain I decided to make a resolution to TAKE A BREATH and Breathe again.
My resolution to myself is to slow down ---- to let my children be children-----to stay home. To take the time to watch them bounce on the couch- and NOT correct them-even if they MIGHT fall and break their collar bone like I did.
I resolve to be more organized so that I can get all of my shopping done in one day and not have them away from the home 4 or 5 times a week...who knew they were such homebodies. I promise myself a less stressful life- to remember the important things, not the wanted things....I really don't need a new pair of jeans, I just want new ones to replace the crappy ones I am wearing right now!
I vow to appreciate the days that my children destroy the playroom and the livingroom....and their room. It is OKAY if their toys are all over the house and a friend shows up unexpectedly- or expectedly! I am going to treasure the days that they want to play with the playdough or the moonsand or the paint and not just save that stuff for Grandma's house. I am going to spend more time with them and less time at the store- where there really is nothing that I need. I will let them have friends over more often and not care about the mess they make or how many times they run through the living room.
This Christmas Eve I proved to myself that I can do this and that I can BREATHE while I am doing this- no more holding my breath. No more wishing that everything would just stay perfectly clean!
This Christmas Eve, we had a pajama day.....ALL DAY!
On that day, I was the coolest mom, in their eyes.
On that day, we had fun. We had a lot of fun!!
On that day I relaxed and I took many breaths!!!!!!
WE even invited a friend over for the day-and she stayed in her pajamas too!
We had a yummy breakfast.
We watched Wall-E
We had their lunch of choice- maccaroni and cheese and capri's and bean burritos (oh yum)!
We decorated sugar cookies - I did make them keep them in a pan to decorate, but they had sprinkles galore!

They wore matching headbands- how cool it that?
That day was great, and although I know that there are certain days when I still need my house clean, I know that I need to relax more and let things just be.
So, with tears in my eyes and a super full heart, I vow to make this change within myself- I can do it! It won't be easy for me, but that is the best part about New Year's Resolution's- I have the whole year to work on it!!!

4 comments:
Staying home GOOD!!!! I know how they feel I am a girl who likes to stay home. What a fun day. You do know breathing is good, you need to do it to live!
great resolution. this is something i am constantly working on. i think it is a process- ever evolving. you can do it. and you will love it.
Thanks Elizabeth...I just feel so much of what you are saying is what I'm feeling and I just can't bring it in to words. I needed to hear that. It's been a hard week of being the mom where EVERYTHING has been met with a protest... EVERYTHING. I can't handle it right now. Today. But... I did choose this. Thanks for the reminder to quit holding my breath that this will pass but take a breath and breathe more! I love you! I miss my friends who know I'm normal even when I'm feeling psycho!
You are awesome. I know you can do it - and you'll be amazing for it. Joy in the Journey!
Post a Comment