Monday, January 12, 2009

That Man...

That man has always been there for me no matter what.
That man has been though this before.
That man will get through this again, and he will be better for it.
That man has given me great counsel throughout my life.
That man has been a constant example to me and others.
That man held me on a horse when I was too scared to get back on.
That man has given me so many piggyback rides.
That man has been a worthy priesthood holder his whole life.
That man served a misson and took my beautiful mom to the Temple and has been devoted to her.
That man has always told the best bedtime stories!
That man has watched me make mistakes, and he still loves me.
That man has walked me down the aisle and "given" me to my wonderful husband.
That man has held my tiny children in his arms and given them their names and blessings
That man has pushed his grandchildren on the swing over and over and over and over......
That man has played many a game with his family-even if he was too tired.
That man is the reason I read so many books.
That man is the reason I learned to play the clarinet.
That man is the reason I like to camp with my family.
That man taught me the value of being an honest person.
That man always shares his special pink mints with his granddaughters.
That man is the reason his sons have all taken their wives to the Temple.
That man was a great Bishop.
That man is proud of his heritage, and that makes me proud of mine as well.
That man taught me the value of having a good work ethic.

That man, my father, lost his job last week after 20 some years of dedicated service. I don't know all the details, I just know that they lost a great worker. I know that they will be sorry and wish they hadn't let him go. I know that my dad is hurting, and what do you say to a 55 year old who has to start all over? How do you say that I know it won't be easy, but you will get through this? How do you say that your job doesn't define who you are, that you aren't a lesser person , that I love you no matter what? I know the thoughts in his head are driving him crazy- where will he find a job-there aren't that many right now? What kind of pay rate will he be able to get? He will lose all of his vacation time - he had 4 weeks- almost 5......He will lose his insurance- hopefully they can get on mom's. He is unsure about his retirement- they better give it to him! I fear where he will end up, or what there is out there for him to do. But, he is a strong person. He is a faithful person. He is the most honest person I know, and he is a devoted worker. He will be fine and he will get through this. He will start over and life will go on. He has my mom and he has all of us kids- he can lean on us anytime he wants. We love him- he is still the best!

3 comments:

The Barron Bunch said...

So sorry for your dad.....he will find something soon! Maybe something even better!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. My heart is so heavy for him right now. I hardly slept last night because I was thinking of him. I wonder what thoughts are running through his head. I wonder "why him?"
I know everything will work out. I just know it. But in the meantime I'm praying my little heart out for him. He doesn't deserve this. He's a good good man and because of that the Lord is on his side and will help him through all his trials, including this one.
I just wish there was something I could do to help him.....

Stefany said...

What a nice post Elizabeth! what an honorable man your dad is. i wish him and your mom the best right now with the challanges that face them. I know he will be blessed for all he does. he has a great daughter too. :)