
The "Mac" and I go waaaaaay back. About 30 years to be exact. Many afternoons, my mom would dish this yellowy, golden, gooey food into a beautiful tupperware bowl (you remember the ones, they were brown or green or orange and were all scratched up from your spoon or the dishwasher, so it had a slightly white tinge to it- and I don't mean the cool new brown or green colors- I'm talking the 70's colors) Anyway, I was hooked at a very early age to the mac- n- cheese. I don't think that my mom ever actually bought the Kraft brand, but what did I care- I was a dumb kid. On special evenings, my mom would break out the good stuff- HOMEMADE mac and cheese! It was the best- real cheese all gooey and melty (not sure if that's a word)! She would bake it in the oven and I could smell it for what seemed like hours.
My love for the golden noodle followed me to college, which was a good thing since I never had any money. I still had to buy the store brand- no Kraft for the student- but I enjoyed my mac quite often- ask my roommates- they probably remember that I would make it and eat it all (I'm not good at sharing).
Now, I get to feed my kids the yummy stuff. The difference is that I buy the Kraft- my taste buds have changed and now I have to have to the good stuff- my kids are ruined for sure! I stock up whenever there is a sale, and if and I am out and there isn't a sale, I spring for it anyway and pay the full 75 cents- hey I gotta have it! I even make it homemade sometimes- just like mom- and it is truly the best- I'm bragging now, but I sort of consider myself a connissieur (don't spell check me) in the mac and cheese department, so I think my homemade mac is the BOMB!
Which brings me to a sad point- my husband- the man who will eat anything- DOES NOT like macaroni and cheese!!!!!!! Can you believe this? It poses a small problem in our house because quite often there is a request for the mac for dinner. He would truly rather eat spaghetti every night (his other least fav. food) than eat macaroni! Bummer. So, the girls and I usually eat it for lunch, and if you are ever at my house during lunch time you will probably get to eat some too- lucky you!!

9 comments:
love the color you chose to type in! perfect!
I do enjoy the "grown up" mac and cheese that I make now. It's fun to have those memories tho. The scratched up brown and orange bowl with matching "plate" top are still in my mom's cupboard. They are indestructible!
I have clearly the same childhood experience as you. My grandma taught me how to make my own from-the-box mac at an early age (like 6or 7). I inherited some tupperware from my grandma (same one) in those same colors! It truly lasts for decades. It may be the only thing that gets passed from generation to generation in my family! Love it.
I'm a mac and cheese snob - gotta be Kraft - and the fancy shapes are not okay - just macaroni noodles. Yummy.
Hmmm... what should I make for dinner?
Mac and cheese is a household favorite around here. I remember eating it for lunch with you at my house, my mom actually made it for us. Course I have to agree with you, as an adult Kraft is the only brand for me.
Suzanne- your mom was the BEST lunch maker- I loved going to your house for lunch...
Half of my family hates the stuff1 How sad! I love the stuff myself!
Zane and you can have a Kraft Mac N Cheese dinner one day - I refer to it as the Blue Box of Death myself and the only time my kids eat it is when Zane buys it. Now, if it's homemade mac n cheese, then I'm there. Way yum!
Well you know! You can always add some TUNA and now it's a new dish. I know how much you like FISH! HAHA!
Post a Comment