My kids have been sick all weekend- just a little cold thing that is making them super grumpy and tired-poor babies. It makes me wonder though what we did without all these wonderful drugs we have now-how many people could actually get through the day without Tylenol and Dayquil??
What DID the pioneers do when they were on that rough and rugged trail and had nothing to help their aching bones?
When I was young, we had to live with my Whipple Grandparents for a few months. During that time, my Aunt and I made the mistake of getting a cold. That put my Grandma into nursemaid mode..she marched herself right up the hill outside their home and started picking weeds-yes weeds I tell you!
What did she do with these lovely weeds you ask? She put them on the stove in a pot and began to cook them- the smell was somewhere between stinky,sweaty feet and rotten, moldy potatoes-YUCK. Just the smell alone made my tastebuds hide in fear- what was this woman doing with all these weeds??????
She was, of course, making Horehound Tea for us to yummily gag down our throats in the hopes that it would cure all of our ailments! I have to tell you that not only did it stink to high heaven, but it was green and had pieces of weed all over in it. My Grandma swears to me still that this was an actual thing that she learned from her mother and she from her mother, but I think she made it up that day in the hopes that she could scare the cold right out of us-go Grandma!
Anyway, although I will NOT be serving my girlies any Horehound Tea today, I will be giving them some Tylenol and lots of lovies in the hopes that this will be The Cure of the day and help them feel better. Although I must admit that I like when they are sick - they snuggle so much more and like to lay in bed with me.... we may never leave
3 years ago

3 comments:
i love to hold a sick child. they just stay by you. a rarity at our house. since they are all so busy moving all over.
glad you are not attempting the horehound tea. we would probably be able to smell it all the way down here.
I like your cure better than Grandmas :) Hope the girlies start feeling better.
Yep, you gotta love modern medicine. Hope your girls are feeling better.
Post a Comment